- Research the causes and issues that you feel strongly about. Identify a few that you want to devote your volunteer time to.
- Search our site and find an agency that matches your passion.
- Contact the agency and be prepared for some background and interest questions to ensure you are a good match for their organization. Remember, it is important that the agency finds the very best fit for you and they need to get to know you.
- Be patient as background checks and other documentation are prepared. Many agencies deal with vulnerable populations and they want to ensure the safety of their clients, staff and volunteers by conducting background and reference checks.
- Spend some time deciding how much of a commitment you can make to the organization. Remember, they depend on you being there when scheduled.
- Be flexible and open to other possibilities as the needs of the agency change.
- Communicate regularly with the Volunteer Coordinator at the agency. Offer ideas and support to make the agency the best it can be!
- Invite your friends and family to volunteer. If you are a caring, giving person, the chances are good that those you spend time with will be as well.
- Don’t get discouraged. If a volunteer assignment is not what you hoped it would be, arrange a meeting with the Volunteer Coordinator and discuss it. There may be other options for you or they might recommend another agency that needs your help and might be a better fit.
- Remember that it takes all of our efforts to make McKinney the caring, giving city it is!
HOW TO GET STARTED
AS A VOLUNTEER
HOW TO VOLUNTEER
There are many ways for youth, adults, small or large groups to serve in McKinney. To search for volunteer opportunities, click here. You will then be able to browse the many agencies and their volunteer opportunities and pick the one that best suits you.
Volunteer McKinney is devoted to making our local non-profit community the best it can be and we know that without support from local businesses the good work these agencies do just would not get done. We want to offer you simple steps to engaging your employees in service to local non-profits that will benefit the employees’ lives, the agencies they serve and your company’s productivity.
Click here to learn more.
Register for free to save your interests for fast future searches. Click on BECOME A FAN when you are on an agency’s page and you will be notified each time that agency posts a new need for volunteers or in-kind donations.